What is Mothers Making More (M3)?
M3 is a program that gives comprehensive support to single mothers held back by financial and other barriers in their attempts to further their education, build a career and improve their quality of life for themselves and their children. The resources available to participants in the M3 program are used for educational purposes but also provide assistance for emergencies when participants cannot meet essential living expenses. The program operates in partnership with The United Way of Southwestern Pennsylvania, the primary funding source; Westmoreland Community Action, the agency that oversees the program; the Westmoreland-Fayette Workforce Investment Board; Westmoreland County Community College; Seton Hill University; Excela Health; The YWCA Westmoreland; the YMCA of Greensburg and the Valley Points Family YMCA; and the Blackburn Center.
How does M3 help? It provides:
- Hands on support from M3 staff
- Networking and support opportunities from other M3 Moms
- Life skills and other helpful presentations
- Assistance with identifying other systems of support such as childcare services, counseling and more
- Financial support related to education and crisis related living expenses on a case by case basis
Who qualifies for M3?
M3 is open to head-of-household single moms in Westmoreland and Fayette Counties who are working at least part-time (in good standing) and have child/children under the age of 18.
M3 supports Moms enrolled in a certificate, diploma or two year degree program that is part of a growing career field and will lead to a family sustaining wage. Additionally, M3 enrollment candidates must agree to:
- Complete three, two-hour orientation sessions
- Attend semi-monthly group meetings
- Maintain employment
- Earn less than 200% of the 2019 Federal Poverty Guidelines for family size
- Be eligible for Federal Financial Aid
- Earn a minimum of 18 credits per school year
- Reside in Westmoreland or Fayette County
Become a member of the M3 Family
M3 helps you while you’re journeying towards a better tomorrow for you and your children. Our participants are enrolled in school with the ultimate goal of graduating, starting a new career and earning a family sustaining income. M3 Moms know that the foundation they are laying today will create for them and their children, a better tomorrow.
If you would like to apply, please call 724-834-1260 ext. 136.