Our Early Childhood Education programs are FREE and applications can be completed year round. Our Early Childhood programs for children, birth to 5, include Head Start, Early Head Start, and Pre-K Counts. These programs support parent and family engagement, optimal child growth and development, and school readiness. To qualify for these programs, families must be residents of Westmoreland County, have children 0-5 years of age, and must meet income guidelines. You may qualify if you make less than the 100% column for your family size on the 2021 Federal Poverty Guidelines. Download the guidelines and compare your income to the 100% column for Head Start and the 300% column for Pre-K Counts. See additional information at the bottom of the page for Pre-K Counts programs.
To learn more about Head Start, Early Head Start, and Pre-K Counts, please view the Comcast commercial below. Video produced by Striped Shirt Media.
To see a Directory of our Head Start and Pre-K Counts locations, please click here.
To see a Map of our Head Start and Pre-K Counts locations, please click here.
Click here to fill out our online enrollment application for Head Start/Early Head Start/Pre-K Counts.
If within the past 2 years you have applied to Early Head Start, Head Start, or the Pre-K Counts Program, there is NO NEED to complete a new application. Instead, please call 724-834-1260 (ext. 4121) and your application will be updated and activated for possible enrollment opportunities.
Complete the 2020/2021 Head Start Community Needs Assessment Here!
Do you have at least one child age 0 to 5? Or are you currently pregnant? Then you’d be perfect to take our Community Needs Assessment survey! You don’t have to be enrolled in Head Start, Early Head Start, or Pre-K Counts to participate.
Please know that your answers will be kept confidential. Just make sure you don’t fill out the survey more than once!
When you’re ready, simply click on this link and you will be taken to the online survey. Thank you in advance for participating!
We wanted to say a big Thank You to the many local businesses/organizations who have helped us with our program recruitment! We truly value our community partners!
Want to see our programs in action? Click here for some short clips of Head Start activities as well as Early Head Start home visits!
COVID-19 Pandemic Resources
In response to the Coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic, we have put together a general resource page. We also have a link to a list of school districts that are offering food. Each district is different so please read carefully.
NEW LIST UPDATED ON 5.6.20 - - - Click here to view the list: School Food Offerings_5.6.20
Click here for Eligibility Guidelines for free and reduced school meals for the 2020-21 school year.
The following is a list of other resources during the COVID-19 pandemic:
- Letter to Parents During a Pandemic
- WCA Health & Safety Plan for Centers During a Pandemic
- WCA Health & Safety Plan for Home Visiting During a Pandemic
- Guidance for Educational Experiences for Teachers During a Pandemic
- Guidance for Virtual Home Visits for HS Family Advocates During a Pandemic
- Guidance for Virtual Home Visits for Home Based Family Advocates During a Pandemic
- Guidance for Meal Service During a Pandemic
- Guidance for Health Component Center Expectations During a Pandemic
- iPad Application (loaning to parents) During a Pandemic
- HS Enrollment Letter During a Pandemic
- EHS Enrollment Letter During a Pandemic
- Providing Sunscreen During a Pandemic
- Providing Hand Sanitizer During a Pandemic
- Parent Reopening Survey
- Parent Reopening Survey Results
- COVID-19 Parent Notification Letter