Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program offers free tax help to low- to moderate-income (generally $55,000 and below) people who cannot prepare their own tax returns. Certified volunteers sponsored by various organizations receive training to help prepare basic tax returns in communities across the county.
Trained community volunteers may help with special credits, such as Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, and Credit for the Elderly or the Disabled. Check out the video below for more information about the Earned Income Tax Credit and to see if you qualify!
In addition to free tax return preparation assistance, our sites also offer free electronic filing (e-filing). Individuals taking advantage of the e-file program will receive their refunds in half the time compared to returns filed on paper even faster when tax refunds are deposited directly into one’s bank account.
Items to bring to the VITA site to have your tax return prepared:
- Proof of identification
- Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last years federal and state returns if available
- Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit, such as a blank check
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social
Security Number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number)
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
Sites are located in Greensburg, New Kensington, Monessen and Latrobe.
To schedule an appointment call the United Way’s human services helpline … just dial 2-1-1.
- The Free Income Tax Service is funded by The United Way of Westmoreland County and PathwaysPA.