Come join a team that is making a difference in our local communities!
Westmoreland Community Action (WCA) is a non-profit organization that works to connect individuals and families to opportunities and resources throughout the community to improve their quality of life and help to reduce poverty in the community. This is accomplished through housing, counseling, support, education, intervention, collaborations, partnerships, information, referrals, and networking.
Westmoreland Community Action (WCA) is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce that reflects our community and those that we seek to serve. If you, in good faith, believe that you are qualified to succeed in this position, we encourage you to apply. Please include a cover letter to tell us about your unique qualifications for the position.
Benefits of working at WCA:
- 100% Employer paid Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Short Term Disability and Long Term Disability Polices.
- Employer pays 80% of individual Medical Insurance Premium.
- 15 paid Holiday’s.
- 10 days of vacation in first year of employment.
- 3.69 hours of sick time accrued per pay period.
- 8% retirement match after 1 year and 1000 hours of service
- Mileage reimbursement
Salary Range (Based on Experience) $29,744 to $32,552 Annually
Provide the Head Start Center’s daily nutritious meals and snacks and conduct nutrition education for Head Start children and families.
- Work with Head Start Staff in providing scheduled meals and snacks in accordance with the USDA Child and Adult Care Food Program.
- Encourage parent engagement by creating a welcoming environment and role modeling sanitation and healthy eating habits.
- Maintain a clean, organized and sanitary food service area in accordance with State and Local Regulations by following the food service and sanitation guidelines.
- Provide for, plan and/or supervise small group learning activities and also parent activities in nutrition.
- Ensure that the activities of this position are consistent with the mission, vision and values of the WCA Head Start performance standards, policies and procedures.
- Assist staff and parents in planning field trips and special events when meals are needed.
- Plan, prepare and serve nutritionally balanced meals and snacks for children, staff, and volunteers in accordance to Head Start Standards and the USDA Child and Adult Care Food Program.
- Follow approved menu plans and adjust menus if needed with the approval of the Nutrition Consultant.
- Compare prices and stay within allotted food budget while shopping on a weekly basis.
- Order and pick up food and nutrition related supplies
- Minimize waste by monitoring consumption.
- Maintain records required for Food Service Management and submit copies to Central Office.
- Participate in weekly staff meetings and read all pertinent information through weekly newsletters and /or email.
- Participate in training as deemed necessary by supervisor and nutritionist.
- Maintain compliance with confidentiality policies and HIPPA regulations, in regard to accessing protected information. Employee access to protected information is on a need to know basis.
- Carry out supplementary responsibilities related to the program and all other duties as assigned by a Supervisor.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND/OR SKILLS
- Resident of Target or Center Area preferred.
- High School Diploma or equivalent is preferred.
- Some previous experience or background in food preparation/nutrition is desirable.
- Familiarity or involvement with Head Start Program is helpful.
- Valid Pa. Driver’s License and insurance as mandated by the agency.
- Act 33 and 34 clearances.
- Must be able to transport groceries as needed.
- Basic Computer Skills.
* REQUIREMENTS NECESSARY TO SAFELY PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION OF COOK/FOOD MANAGER.
Physical requirements – Push/pull, lift/move up to 50 pounds.
Manual dexterity – Perform moderately difficult manipulation – cutting, peeling foods.
Coordination – Perform tasks which require foot and/or hand/eye coordination – driving a car.
Mobility – Walk, stand, sit for prolonged periods of time, drive.
Speech– Articulate with extreme accuracy – employee/client relations, phone contact.
Vision– Read small print, drive a car.
Hearing – Receive verbal instructions, communicate with employees.
Concentration – Able to concentrate on moderate detail with some interruption.
Attention span – Able to attend to task function for more that 60 minutes.
Conceptualization – Able to understand and relate to theories behind several related concepts.
Memory– Able to remember multiple verbal and written task-assignments given at beginning of a period extending over long period of time.
Environment Conditions – Indoor/outdoor work
Job Types: Full-time, Seasonal
Salary: $29,744.00 – $32,552.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Under 1 year
- 8 hour shift
Weekly day range:
- Monday to Friday